Oct 20, 2011

Alum Sports UC Cycling Gear

Jeff King, a 2000 UC graduate with a BS in Construction Management, recently participated in the Triple Bypass race - a one day, 120-mile bike ride from Bergen Park (Evergreen) to Avon, Colorado - while sporting his UC cycling jersey. Find out what Jeff had to say about the race and his UC experience!

What were some of the most memorable experiences you had at UC? What types of activities were you involved with at UC?

My most memorable experience while at UC would be meeting my lovely wife. I also had a very close circle of friends while at UC. I miss time spent with that special group of friends. I ran the 800 meters for the track & field team from 1994-99.

How did UC transform your life?

I was tripped and pushed off the track during a meet at Marshall. I was upset with getting
tripped and instead of finishing the race, I dropped out. Coach Schnier was not happy
with me after the race for not getting back on the track and finishing, “giving it the old
college try.” Two things I’ve always taken away from that race and Coach’s talk
afterward: First – finish what you started, and second – don’t put yourself in a position to fail, which was the whole reason I was tripped in the first place.

The most important thing that UC taught me was how to be a professional. The co-op
program UC has is top-notch. Getting out of the classroom and providing practical
experience is something that cannot be taken away when coming out of school. My
professors at OCAS always had time for me, whether it was a question about a subject, or
discussing future plans with my career.

What makes you proud to be a graduate of UC?

I am amazed at the number of people in Colorado that have ties to the university. When
I wear my Bearcat gear, I often have people comment on either graduating from UC or
being from Cincy.

Explain what you did after graduating from UC. What are you doing now?

After graduation, my wife and I spent five years in the Washington, D.C. area where I worked
as a Project Manager for a large commercial contractor. Currently, I am working as a
Project Manager for JE Dunn Construction in Denver, Colorado. My current project is
the new Encounter Africa Project at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs,
Colorado. Encounter Africa consists of a new elephant holding barn and exhibit space for the
elephants and lions at the zoo.

Talk about cycling a little. How did you transition from a track athlete to a cyclist?
Do you always wear your UC gear during races? What did the Triple Bypass
Cycling Challenge entail?

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for almost 20 years so I try to stay as active as I possibly
can. I ran for many years and continue to do so, but took up cycling several years ago
when I was battling a lower back injury. It helps to live in Colorado which is very
bicycle friendly.

The Bearcat Jersey was a x-mas gift a year ago; I try to wear it on as many rides as I
possible can.

The Triple Bypass is a one day, 120-mile bike ride from Bergen Park (Evergreen) to
Avon, Colorado. The challenge includes riding over 3 mountain passes (Squaw Pass,
Loveland Pass and Vail Pass). It took me around 11 hours to complete. While riding I
had many compliments on my Bearcat jersey, including one from a fellow UC alumni.

No comments:

Post a Comment