Aug 26, 2011

President Williams Speaks in Cleveland Next Month

Before being named President of the University of Cincinnati in 2009, many people first learned about Gregory H. Williams by reading his gripping memoir, Life on the Color Line: The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black.  Because of his unique perspective and powerful life story, President Williams has been invited to the City Club of Cleveland to participate in a Friday Forum on Post-Racial America, which takes place Friday, September 9 at noon.

From the event website:  The election of President Obama in 2008 led many to ask if America had finally transcended its racial divisions. The term “post-racial” emerged – suggesting our nation had become color-blind. University of Cincinnati President Gregory H. Williams, the author of a best-selling and award-winning memoir, Life on the Color Line: The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black, will examine these issues through the eyes of someone who has often found himself in the middle. President Williams grew up until the age of 10 believing he was white. After the revelation that his father was half black, he began a remarkable journey along the color line that opened his eyes to the reality of racism, poverty, repression and struggle in 1950s and ’60s America.

The event is open to the public and tickets can be purchased by clicking here or by calling 216-621-0085. For more information, visit the City Club of Cleveland’s website by following this link. The event is part of the 2011 KeyBank Diversity Thought Leadership Series.

Limited tickets are available, so make your reservations now and be there for a memorable discussion!

1 comment:

  1. would like Dr Williams to know that I just finished his [color line] book and was so enthralled I read it in one sitting, with bathroom breaks. it is fascinating and makes me want to tell him "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" for all that he endured........I AM literally sorry for everything all blacks have endured since the beginning of this country. I am white. I sometimes wish if I could go back in time and stop wherever I wanted I would be a conductor on the underground railroad and DO SOMETHING about racial inequality. It was a great book, Dr Williams and I admire you for everything you have achieved. Siannon Birch puppybreath@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete