Nov 21, 2012

UC Alumni Give Thanks: Gibson Family Starts Bearcat Legacy

Many UC alumni are thankful for their UC education and experience. Follow along with this series through November (also known as the thankful month) as UC alumni give thanks to UC. If you would like to share your story and show your appreciation for the university, please e-mail proudlycincinnati@uc.edu.

Gibson, his wife Jami and Coach Jones
Justin Gibson is the first generation in a family leaving a strong Bearcat legacy. He received his BBA from the Carl H. Lindner College of Business in 2005. His wife Jami earned her master's in nursing in June 2012 and accepted a position with UC Health. His sister received her BS in criminal justice in 2011 and will finish her master's in community planning in 2013. His brother-in-law received his BA in organizational leadership in June 2008. Gibson and his wife look forward to seeing their children and grand children attend UC.  

Why are you thankful for your UC experience?
My UC experience is everything to me!  Everything I have I owe to the cultivation I received during my time as an undergraduate – from my Darwin T. Turner scholarship, to serving as student body vice president, to joining my fraternity, and my service learning trip to build a Habitat for Humanity house in Costa Rica.

How has your UC education helped you get where you are today?
Gibson, his wife and daughter cheering on the Bearcats
My professors and the support staff of the university instilled in me that the only part of a well-rounded collegiate experience is actually spent in the classroom.  Being involved in extra curricular activities, participating in philanthropic efforts, and showing school spirit help students develop their leadership and social attributes. Combined with a world-class education, UC students enter the workforce as very competitive job candidates.

What’s your favorite UC memory?
It is very hard to limit it to just one, but it had to be commencement.  Walking across the stage, donned in my cap and gown, in front of my family, friends and peers, I transitioned from student to alumnus. This was one of the most moving days of my life.  The faculty, staff and UC President were so excited for us. That memory is one of the many reasons why I am engaged with UC today.

Why are you Proudly Cincinnati?
I am Proudly Cincinnati because no matter how much I try to do for my alma mater, she continues to give me more.  I’ve met so many great people in my time here who have enriched my life, and my wife’s life, and our common bond is the University of Cincinnati.  And under the direction of President Ono, I can’t wait to see what my 13-month-old daughter Sydnee has to look forward to when she arrives in about 17 years!

Why are you thankful for the Unversity of Cincinnati? Let us know by commenting below!

No comments:

Post a Comment