Nov 20, 2012

UC Alumni Give Thanks: Schuster Credits Co-Op for Career Opportunities

Schuster, Austin Francis ('11), Eileen George ('12)
and the Bearcat at alumni event before the
UC vs. Ohio State Sweet 16 basketball game.
Many UC alumni are thankful for their UC education and experience. Follow along with this series through November (also known as the thankful month) as UC alumni give thanks to UC. If you would like to share your story and show your appreciation for the university, please e-mail proudlycincinnati@uc.edu.

Scott Schuster earned his BBA in marketing in 2010 and MS in marketing in 2012. Schuster is the Director of Development at Moeller High School in Cincinnati, OH.  He formerly worked for the UC Foundation.

Why are you thankful for your UC experience?
The University of Cincinnati has played such a vital role in my life.  What I got out of both my undergraduate degree and graduate degree is irreplaceable.  During my four years of undergrad, I gained valuable knowledge from UC’s great faculty. I gained valuable work experience through the co-op program, which helped me secure a job out of college.  I went on to secure my master’s degree from the Carl H. Lindner College of Business, which gave me the opportunity to work with a great group of professionals in business as well as those pursuing master’s degrees in DAAP and Engineering.  UC has many great partnerships with local and national companies, which gave me the opportunity to work on real life problems and issues with companies across the country.  The university offered me the necessary tools to help me succeed and I am very thankful it.
Schuster in Boston before the UC vs. Ohio State Sweet 16
basketball game

How has your UC education helped you get where you are today?
One of my main reasons for attending UC was to have the opportunity to co-op.  Many other universities did not have a defined co-op program and UC’s has always been rated as one of the best.  As most students will tell you, you learn a great amount in the classroom, but an even greater amount in your chosen field of work.  In my eyes, work experience while in college is one of the most important aspects of being able to secure a job upon graduation.  Employers today want to see real life experience on a resume, and UC gives their students the opportunity to obtain it.  The academic and professional experiences I received at UC helped propel my career and placed me in a great position for growth.

What’s your favorite UC memory?
I have many great UC memories, but one that sticks out is from the 2010 Sugar Bowl. The outcome was not in our favor, but that game showed just how far UC has come, not just in athletics, but as a community.  Our fans vastly outnumbered Florida. I remember walking down the French Quarter and seeing thousands, upon thousands, of screaming UC Fans.

Why are you Proudly Cincinnati?
Scott's mom, Paula, Scott, and sister, Jennifer ('08) at
UC vs. USF Football game in Tampa, FL in 2011
The term Proudly Cincinnati means many things to me, but mostly it means remembering my time at UC and what UC has done for me and my family. I have been a fan of UC since I was a little kid and followed in my sister’s footsteps when I became a student.  I have been amazed to see the transformation of the University in my lifetime.  It has gone from being a bricks and mortar, urban campus, to one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. UC is internationally known for our high academic achievements, as well as our athletic achievements. I am proud, and honored, to say that I am a graduate of the University of Cincinnati.

Why are you thankful for UC? Let us know by commenting below!

No comments:

Post a Comment